Guymon Home Destroyed By Fire
Joe Denoyer - November 21, 2016 11:50 am
An early Saturday morning fire resulted in a total destruction of a Guymon home. Guymon Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 917 NE. 24th street. The fire was reported at 4:22am by the home owner. “As Fire units approached the scene, flames could be seen arising over the trees from the roof of the home”, said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley.
Home owners, Eladio and Christina Nunez, were asleep at the time the fire broke out and were awaken by smoke entering their bedroom. They were both able to get out of the home and call 911. “Heavy fire conditions were present on Firefighters arrival with the entire south and east sides of the home completely involved in flames”, Wadley stated. It took Firefighters approximately 1 hour to bring the fire under control and another 2 hours to extinguish remaining hot areas.
Fire investigation of this fire found that a heat lamp left on in the garage came in contact with combustible materials, then began to spread to other items in the garage including 2 parked vehicles. The home and all contents of the home were a complete loss. Early estimated cost of this fire is over $200,000.
Guymon Firefighters called upon Goodwell and Hooker Fire Departments to assist in this blaze due to limited access to hydrants in this location. Water tanker units from Goodwell, Hooker, and Texas County District #2 were all used in supplying water to the fire units at the scene. “Location from 24th street, limited access to the home from only one direction, and limited water supply in the beginning made this fire very difficult for Firefighters”, Wadley said. No injuries were reported and Red Cross has been contacted for this family.
In addition to Goodwell and Hooker Firefighters, Guymon Firefighters were also assisted by Guymon Police Department, Texas County Emergency Management, Tri-County Electric, and the Guymon Utilities Authority.