Liberal, KS

Now: 67 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 67 °F | Lo: 65 °F


Hi: 91 °F 

Lo: 65 °F


Hi: 85 °F 

Lo: 64 °F


Hi: 90 °F 

Lo: 59 °F


Hi: 84 °F 

Lo: 58 °F


Hi: 89 °F 

Lo: 63 °F

Seward County Issues Statement on Recent Flooding

Joe Denoyer - August 11, 2017 8:32 pm


The recent storm has caused flooding in many areas of Seward County. Please avoid roadways where water has crossed the road and please continue to take caution when
driving. Due to the recent rainfall and chances of rain in the coming days, water may continue to rise. Residents should continue to take precautions.

Seward County has declared a resolution and proclamation of disaster. Please understand this does not guarantee any funding for damages as a result of the storms.

However, we are trying to map/track areas in the County that sustained flood damage.

If you are a Seward County Resident/Business Owner and have flood damage to report, please contact Seward County at 620-626-3355. You may leave a message on the voicemail if an attendant does not answer the phone.

Please play it safe. If your home or business sustained damage in the flood your foundation may have been weakened, the electrical system may have been compromised, you may have gas leaks and flood waters leave behind things that can
potentially make you sick. Please do not risk injury or infection.

When you work in an area that has been flooded, you will be exposed to dangerous chemicals or germs that you are not used to. Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often.
Even if you have some experience with construction and electrical work, do not attempt any job if you feel uncertain about the right thing to do or wonder if the job is beyond
your skill or physical strength.

If you see obvious damage, have a building inspector check the home. You may call the City of Liberal Building Inspector at 620-626-2260 or the Seward County Planning &
Zoning Department at 620-626-3394. If it is on the weekend or after hours you may call Seward County Communications Center at 620-309-2000.

April Warden, Seward County Administrator​


Latest Stories

Seymour Rogers Middle School Seeks Band Instruments

Seymour Rogers Middle School has seen an influx of students who have taken an interest in...

Cast Set for SCCC’s Fall Performance of “Steel Magnolias”

LIBERAL, Kan. – The cast is set for the fall performance of “Steel Magnolias.” Director Michele...

Cimarron County Crash Injures New Mexico Woman

An injury accident occurred September 16 at approximately 4:00pm on US 56 Highway, approximately 6 miles...