Liberal, KS

Now: 55 °F

Currently: Partly Cloudy

Hi: 55 °F | Lo: 33 °F


Hi: 46 °F 

Lo: 23 °F


Hi: 57 °F 

Lo: 27 °F


Hi: 68 °F 

Lo: 32 °F


Hi: 53 °F 

Lo: 29 °F


Hi: 50 °F 

Lo: 29 °F

Out Of State Vehicle Registration Sweep

KSCB News - November 10, 2011 8:27 am

The Liberal Police Department, with the assistance of employees from the Liberal Fire Department and Liberal Code Enforcement participated in the 1st of many Out of State Registration information campaign on 11-03-2011. This information campaign covered the city from 8th street north to the city limits. The remaining portions of the city will be conducted at future dates.
During the campaign participants handed out 102 information pamphlets to possible violators of the Out of State Vehicle Registration Ordinance. These pamphlets informed owners of the vehicle license registration law and the exemptions to this law. Our goal in this campaign is to obtain voluntary compliance with the law. If anyone feels they are exempt they are asked to contact the Liberal Police Department by 11-10-2011. If you received a pamphlet and feel that you may be exempt contact the Liberal Police Department at 620-626-0141, during normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
The Liberal Police Department would like to remind everyone that Kansas law requires that all motor vehicles that are garaged in Kansas for greater than 90 days be registered in the State of Kansas. Kansas law does exempt non-resident students who are actively enrolled in college. Members of the armed forces that are stationed in this state, provided that such vehicle is properly registered in such member’s state of residence, are also exempt. Any interstate contract, agreement or declaration made by the Director of Motor Vehicles is exempt from obtaining Kansas registration.
This law applies to all motor vehicles either personally owned or company owned. A common misconception is that if the owner of a motor vehicle has property or owns a business in another state then it is acceptable to register that vehicle in that state. This is not true. These individuals are still required to obtain Kansas registration for their vehicles.
Penalties for not obtaining Kansas registration include fines up to $2500.00, imprisonment of up to 6 months, or a combination of both fines and imprisonment.
All vehicles registered in another state must first have a motor vehicle examination inspection before obtaining a Kansas registration. This inspection can be completed at the Liberal Animal Shelter, located at 1985 North Country Estates Road, Mon-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is an inspection fee $15.00.
For more information on obtaining Kansas registration you can contact the Seward County Treasurers Office at 620-626-3216. For more information on out of state registration contact the Liberal Police Department at 620-626-0141


Latest Stories

Guymon Chamber Holds Annual Banquet

The 2019 Guymon Chamber of Commerce Annual Banquet was held recently with the theme of “Welcome...

Guymon City Manager Resigns, City Council to Hold Special Meeting

(GDH) Following the resignation of City Manager Mitch Wagner, the Guymon City Council will convene in...

Seward County Rural Fire Fights Vegetation Fire

On Tuesday, October 22nd, at 5:42 pm Seward County Fire Rescue was dispatched to a vegetation...