Liberal and Surrounding Area Residents Can Assist Louisiana Flood Victims
Joe Denoyer - August 23, 2016 8:00 pm
The people of Kansas are no strangers to natural disasters, so they know when a crisis strikes, sometimes you need some help to overcome the adversity. So First United Methodist Church of Liberal is inviting people of all faiths in the area to mobilize to help the people suffering the record-setting flooding in Louisiana.
One of the biggest needs is a flood-bucket kit that helps victims start to repair the damage once the waters recede. Each fits inside a 5-gallon bucket with a resealable lid and includes:
• One 50-ounce bottle or two 25-ounce bottles of liquid laundry detergent.
• A 12- to 16-ounce bottle of liquid cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray cleaners).
• A 16- to 28-ounce bottle of dish soap.
• One can of aerosol or pump air freshener.
• A 6- to 14-ounce aerosol or spray pump of insect repellant.
• One scrub brush with a plastic or wooden handle.
• Eighteen cleaning wipes (please, no terry-cloth towels).
• Seven non-cellulose sponges.
• Five scouring pads (nothing with soap built in).
• Fifty clothespins.
• One 100-foot or two 50-foot cotton or plastic clotheslines.
• A 24-roll of heavy-duty trash bags, 33 to 45 gallons of capacity.
• Five dust masks.
• Two pairs of dishwashing gloves (durable enough for multiple uses).
• One pair of work gloves with either a leather palm or all leather.
• One 5-gallon bucket with a resealable lid.
All of these materials are available at local stores, so in addition to helping victims of the flooding, you are also helping our local economy receive a boost!
Buckets will be delivered to Dodge City on August 31st and September 9th, where they will be picked up and taken the flood zone areas. The cost of one bucket and supplies is about $70. Please contact First United Methodist Church (620-624-8401) if you would like to make a donation and have a bucket prepared for you.
For more information, please call Keith Anglemyer, Senior Pastor of First United Methodist Church, at 620-624-8401 church, 620-229-3046 cell phone, or email [email protected]