Christmas Day Fire at 2110 Bellaire Court
Joe Denoyer - December 26, 2022 9:58 am
At 2:16 pm Sunday, Liberal Firefighters were dispatched to 2110 Bellaire Court. A 911 caller was reporting heavy smoke from the backyard of that residence. Liberal Police units were the first to arrive on scene and reported that the rear of the residence was on fire with a grass fire spreading through the back yard.
The first fire units arrived at 2:20 pm. Firefighters encountered a large body of fire in the rear patio area. The fire had gained complete control of the attic space after burning through the eaves of the home. The fire had extended into the kitchen through the burned away patio doors and the basement through a failed window. A hydrant supply line was established and an aggressive attack was mounted on the fire from the exterior with hose lines manned by both fire & police personnel.
At 2:34 pm a mutual aid request was
made to the Seward County Fire Department for additional personnel. After a few minutes, firefighters were able to gain enough control of the fire to make entry to both the first floor and basement, preventing additional extension to the interior of the residence.
The fire was declared under control at 3:18 pm. The home suffered extensive fire damage as well as smoke, heat and water damage. The home owners were away at the time of the fire and one dog kenneled in the backyard was unharmed. There were no first responder injuries reported at this incident. The fire is believed to be accidental in nature and to have originated in or around a dog house next to the residence.
All units were clear from the scene and
returned to service at 4:42 pm.
Liberal Fire responded with a total of 10 personnel, two engines, and four support / chief officer vehicles. The Seward County Fire Department responded with 5 personnel, two apparatus and one chief officer
Other agencies assisting with the fire are the Liberal Police Department, Seward County EMS, Liberal / Seward County Communications Center, Black Hills Energy & Southern Pioneer Electric. The American Red Cross was called to assist the occupants of the home with their loss.