United Way Establishes Central Fund For Disaster Relief

KSCB News - May 26, 2011 4:10 pm

“All of the United Ways in Kansas will be sending funds collected locally to the central fund that has been established by the United Ways of Kansas,” said Kay Burtzloff, executive director of the Seward County United Way. “We found that this was extremely effective when we did it for the Greensburg Tornado and have established it as part of our state-wide disaster plan.”

The United Ways of Kansas Tornado Relief Fund will serve as a central collection point for anyone wishing to make a monetary contribution to help the victims of the tornadoes in Reading, Kan., and Joplin, Mo. Donors should indicate which disaster relief effort they wish to assist. Disasters such as these require the services of many organizations, especially for on-going assistance in the future. This United Way fund will provide a vehicle for that help.

The fund will be administered by United Way of the Plains with no administration charge; 100 percent of each gift will go to disaster recovery assistance. “They did a great job for us with Greensburg. They have the staff and the experience to handle it and it takes a large workload off of the small United Ways,” Burtzloff said. “The amount of staff time and resources they donate to administering the fund and recognizing donors is a substantial gift in itself.”

Donors can designate their gift to assist in either Reading, Kan., or Joplin, Mo. Donors should make checks payable to United Way Tornado Relief, and mail to United Way of the Plains, 245 N. Water, Wichita, KS 67202 or can donate on-line at unitedwayplains.org.

“Cash and check donations will also be accepted locally by the Seward County United Way. They may be dropped off with the receptionist at the First National Bank main branch, 1700 N. Lincoln, in Liberal,” Burtzloff said. To contact the Seward County United Way, call 624-5400 or 629-0203.

“For more information about how to help with Reading or Joplin, call the free United Ways of Kansas statewide referral line, 211. The 211 operators are keeping in constant contact with both sites and can provide you with up-to-date information on the needs at both sites,” Burtzloff said.


Latest Stories

Kansas Court of Appeals Panel will Hear Oral Arguments by Videoconference

TOPEKA—Kansas Court of Appeals judges will hear appeals by videoconference Thursday, July 16, and Tuesday, July...

COVID-19 Numbers for July 10

ased by the KDHE, Seward County Health Department, and surrounding Counties for Tuesday July 7th show...

Broadcast Square audio archives July 6 to 10, 2020

You can listen to archived Broadcast Square audio from the week of July 6 to 10,...