Rooftop Air Conditioner Causes House Fire In Guymon

KSCB News - March 8, 2016 10:03 am

An attentive driver passing by a house and recognizing smoke coming from the roof of a home may have saved a home owner his home.
Guymon Firefighters were called to 802 N. Ellison Monday afternoon at 3:21pm to a reported structure fire. Upon first arriving units, they found smoke coming from a large evaporative cooler on the roof of the home , said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley. Firefighters quickly gained entry into the home and atop the roof to further located the source of the fire.
The home is owned by Richard Costner of Guymon, but currently no one lived in the home at the time. Firefighters found the source of the fire to indeed be from the evaporative cooler on the roof in which a water pump mechanically failed, burned the plastic housing around the pump, then burned the highly combustible filters on the outside portions of the cooler , stated Wadley. Smoke did enter the home from the roof top cooler with no extension of fire found on the inside home. Estimated damage from smoke is $3000 with the cooler on the roof completely destroyed.
Guymon Firefighters responded along with Guymon Police, Guymon Utilities Department, and Tri-County Electric.

 

Latest Stories

Broadcast Square audio archives January 11 to 15, 2021

You can listen to archived Broadcast Square audio from the week of January 11 to 15,...

High Wind Warning Friday

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Dodge City KS 215 AM CST Fri Jan 15...

Southwest Kansas Player Wins $50,000 Powerball Prize

An unknown Kansas Lottery player is starting off 2021 right with a $50,000 Powerball prize. The southwest...