Residential Fire Keeps Firefighters Busy
Joe Denoyer - December 23, 2017 6:11 pm
At 09:06 am Saturday, Liberal firefighters were dispatched to 544 S. Pennsylvania for a reported fire in the bathroom of the residence. First arriving units at 9:10 am reported heavy smoke from the Southwest corner of the home. Six adult occupants had awakened to find smoke inside the home and were able to escape uninjured. Firefighters made entry through the front door and were able to quickly extinguish the fire located in a bedroom and bathroom. The fire was declared under control at 9:23 am. Electric, Natural Gas and Water utilities were turned off to the residence due to heavy fire damage. Firefighters had a lengthy overhaul checking for fire extension and extinguishing hidden pockets of fire due to an addition that had been constructed onto the original residence.
The fire originally started in the bathroom and spread outward into an adjacent bedroom. It is believed to be accidental and electrical in nature. The fire department responded with a total of 13 personnel and two engines. Also assisting at the scene were the Liberal Police Department, Seward County EMS, American Red Cross, Liberal Water Department, Southern Pioneer Electric & Black Hills Energy. All units were cleared from the scene at 10:44 am and fully returned to service at 11:15 am.