Guymon Motel Damaged By Fire
KSCB News - October 7, 2014 11:16 am
An alert manager from a local motel is what Firefighters say saved the entire motel from greater damage and most of all lives saved.
Guymon Fire Department was notified by 911 at 5:24pm Monday afternoon of what was thought to be smoke in the alley behind the USA Lodge Motel. On Firefighters arrival, they were led to rooms on the south side of the motel where the manager stated they smelled something burning and occasionally would see light smoke. “With no active fire showing, Firefighters immediately began searching for the cause of the smoke smell”, said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley. As Firefighters were investigating, they found active fire above the ceiling in one of the guest rooms. Evacuation of all guests in the entire motel occurred for life safety concerns. “Heavy fire damage was present and isolated to the attic area over this room and the room adjoining next door”, Wadley stated. Firefighters quickly gained access and extinguished the fire, removing large amounts of smoldering insulation from the ceiling from above both rooms.
Cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature occurring in the attic area of the motel. Major fire damage to the electrical portion of the motel occurred causing the Fire Department to have the entire power supply to the motel shut off by Tri-County Electric. Management of the motel was working on getting guests accommodated at other nearby motels. Early damage estimations are between $10,000 – $15,000.
No injuries were reported and most all of the furniture in both guest rooms were recovered without damage. Firefighters were on scene for over an hour extinguishing and cleaning up the scene. It is not certain at this time when the motel will reopen for guests.