Liberal, KS

Now: 69 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 105 °F | Lo: 72 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 101 °F 

Lo: 71 °F

Wednesday

Hi: 97 °F 

Lo: 66 °F

Thursday

Hi: 89 °F 

Lo: 66 °F

Friday

Hi: 93 °F 

Lo: 67 °F

Saturday

Hi: 94 °F 

Lo: 67 °F

Citizen Makes The Right Call On House Fire In Guymon

KSCB News - January 4, 2011 10:55 am

Tuesday morning at 8:44, a Guymon citizen passing by a house notice smoking coming from the attic vents then immediately drove around the block to the fire station to report the fire.

Guymon Firefighters responded to a house fire at 309 N. Academy where they found smoke coming from the roof line of the house. The family that lived in the home, Mario Gonzales, was still inside asleep at the time when firefighters arrived. “They were unaware there was a fire in the home at all”, said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley . The family was quickly removed to safety out of the house as Firefighters located the fire in the attic above a bedroom. Fire was under control by Firefighters at 9:06am.

This fire was noticed in its early stages before it had a chance to spread and grow larger. “The citizen that recognized the fire and reported it immediately made all the difference in this situation”, Wadley said. The cause of this fire is believed to be from an electrical short in wiring located in the ceiling. Fire damage is estimated at $10,000 with no injuries reported. Firefighters were able to save all the families personal belongs from smoke and fire damage, but the fire damage to this one bedroom home was such the family is not able to live there for now.

Guymon Fire Department were assisted by Guymon Police, Guymon Emergency Management, City Utilities workers, Tri-County Electric, and the local chapter of Red Cross.

 

Latest Stories

You Drink, You Drive, You Lose

The Kansas Department of Transportation says alcohol and drugs are involved in 40% of crash deaths...

Stop on Red Kids Ahead

Kansas education officials are expressing concern that many motorists are ignoring a state law that requires...