Attic Fire In Guymon Damages Home

KSCB News - May 4, 2012 8:15 am

Guymon Firefighters responded to a house fire in Guymon Thursday morning. Multiple emergency calls to 911 were made at 11:31am reporting smoke coming from the roof of 312 Will Rogers. “First arriving units found heavy smoke conditions coming from the roof and eves of the home”, said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley. The home owner was home at the time but didn’t notice the fire at first. The fire was isolated to the attic area which included the insulation and wood roofing supports. “It took Firefighters nearly 45 minutes to get the fire under control”, Wadley stated. The fire was located above the living room and kitchen area in the ceiling. The hidden fire was very difficult for firefighters to extinguish quickly and required removing most of the ceiling in the home to gain total access to all the smoldering insulation. The home owner, Beau Taylor and his family, were able to get out of the home without any injury. Firefighters were able to remove a large portion of the family’s living room furniture preventing damage to personal items. Firefighters also rescued the family dog that was in a carrier in the home, unharmed by the fire or smoke. Cause of the fire is believed electrical in nature, early estimated damage from this fire to the home is $25,000. Fire units remained on the scene till 2:00pm removing insulation and salvaging more of the family’s property. No injuries were reported to Fire Department Paramedics on the scene.

 

Latest Stories

Seward County to Move into Phase 3 of Reopening

Seward County Unified Command, in accordance with the approved plan of the Board of County Commissioners,...

New COVID Numbers for Friday June 5th

The latest statistics released by the KDHE, Seward County Health Department, and surrounding Counties for Friday...

National Beef Donates $10,000 to Bright Futures

National Beef has donated $10,000 to Bright Futures Liberal in an effort to support academic success...