Unattended Candle Use Causes Guymon House Fire

Joe Denoyer - May 4, 2021 2:07 pm

 

         Early Tuesday morning at 1:05am, Guymon Firefighters responded to 911 call of a reported house fire at 58 Joyce Drive.  First arriving units found a single wide mobile home with flames coming out the front door.  “Firefighters were able to quickly enter the home and extinguish the fire before spreading to the remainder of the home”, said Fire Chief Grant Wadley.

A young couple and their 2 pets escaped serious injury and were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by Guymon Fire Department Paramedics.  The fire was caused by an unattended candle that had fallen off a counter top and into a living room couch.  “Extensive fire and water damage occurred in the living room area along with smoke damage throughout the rest of the home”, Chief Wadley said.   

Red Cross was contacted to assist the couple with aid after the fire.  Estimated damage is $5000.00.  Guymon Fire Department was assisted by the Guymon Police Department and Tri-County Electric.  

The Guymon Fire Department reminds everyone to extinguish any candles in the home before going to sleep at night

 

Latest Stories

Liberal City Commission Meets, Moves Forward with New Commission Chambers

The Liberal City Commission met on Tuesday evening and after a Proclamation for National Economic Development...

Click It or Ticket is Just Ahead

Do you buckle up- every trip every time? Yes? Excellent! No? Why not? You do know...

Kansas Governor’s Scholar Designees Liberal High School Class of 2021

Four Liberal High School Seniors were recently recognized as Kansas Governor’s Scholar Designees. This award recognizes...