Residential Fire at 312 S. Calhoun Ave. Monday Morning

Joe Denoyer - September 14, 2020 4:11 pm

At 11:22 am Monday the Liberal Fire Department was dispatched to 312 S. Calhoun Ave. for a possible structure fire. The caller reported smoke from the home with a person yelling from inside the residence and possibly trapped.

While responders were enroute to the address additional information received by 911 operators was that a lone female occupant had been removed from the residence by neighbors. On arrival firefighters found a singlewide mobile home with heavy fire issuing from a front window and attached covered porch. A transitional attack on the fire was initiated and after a short time firefighters were able to gain entry and complete the extinguishment. The fire was declared under control at 11:38 am.

The entire home suffered extensive smoke heat & flame damage. The female occupant was evaluated by Seward County EMS personnel and was later taken by personal vehicle to SWMC for smoke inhalation. Three pets were also in the home at the time of the fire and managed to escape unharmed.

The fire is believed to be accidental in nature and to have originated in the kitchen on the stove top. After overhaul and investigation all units cleared the scene at 12:58 pm.

Liberal Fire responded with a total of 13 personnel & two engines. Also assisting at the scene were the Liberal Police Department, Seward County EMS, Black Hills Energy, Southern Pioneer Electric, Liberal Water Department and American Red Cross.

 

Latest Stories

Former Liberal Mayor, Longtime Businessman Passes Away

Former Liberal Mayor, businessman, and instructor, Larry Koochel, passed away Wednesday morning in the Dallas TX...

Late Night Accident Claims Holcomb Man in Haskell County

A late night single vehicle accident Wednesday night, has claimed the life of a Holcomb Man....

Pedestrian Struck and Injured in Haskell County

A Garden City man Jimmy Farris, 64, was walking East  in the South lane of US...