Liberal Fire Fighters Battle Residential Blaze
Joe Denoyer - October 23, 2016 5:58 pm
At 8:09 am Sunday Liberal firefighters were called to 208 S. New York Ave. for a report of a shed and mobile home on fire with persons possibly still inside the mobile home.
First arriving units reported a detached shed fully engulfed with fire beginning to spread to a mobile home on the property. All occupants had evacuated the mobile home safely however six puppies perished in the shed fire. Fire attack was hampered slightly by downed power lines in the yard and the fire was declared under control at 8:53 am. The fire is believed to be accidental in nature and likely to be caused by a heat lamp being used for the pets.
Several agencies responded to the scene including: Liberal Police Department, Seward County EMS, Black Hills Gas, Southern Pioneer Electric and American Red Cross. The Liberal Fire Department responded with a total of 21 personnel and two engines. All fire units were returned to service by 10:30 am.