Xtreme Challenge Winners Announced
KSCB News - April 5, 2016 11:21 am
Nearly 300 students from nine area high schools showcased their skills and explored college life in the 11th annual Xtreme Challenge Wednesday at Seward County Community College. Campus bustled with groups of students who competed in 17 categories ranging from art to criminal justice, and math and science to transportation technology.
Elkhart High School claimed top honors in the overall school competitions, both in the total-score category, and the score-per-participant category. For overall points, Meade and Rolla high schools came in second and third place respectively. For best average, Liberal and Meade earned second and third place respectively.
Brock Kappleman of KSCB radio served as emcee at the 1:30 p.m. awards ceremony, which honored individual winners and top-scoring schools. SCCC Industrial Technology students designed and produced the Xtreme Challenge medals for 2016, presented to each top three winner by Seward instructors from their respective divisions.
In a drawing from students registered for Xtreme Challenge, two students each won a $500 scholarship to SCCC: Connor Wilson of Liberal, and Sydni Wiggin, Yarbrough High School.
• Allied Health: First, Makenna Rudzik, Meade; Kylee James, Elkhart; third, Brook Reimer, Meade.
• Art: First, Cambrie Cline, Elkhart; second, Elizabeth Marcy, Garden City; third, Riley Saucedo, Meade.
• English: First, Kenzie Jones, Elkhart; second, Allyson Norton, Rolla; third, Jayden Hanna, Elkhart.
• Auto Body: First, Landon Clemens, Rolla; second, Logan Meyers, Meade; third, Cord Whisenhand, Elkhart.
• Drama: First, Gary Norton, Rolla; second, Tai Bush, Elkhart; third, Toni Ann Lamb, Elkhart.
• Drafting and Design: First, Austin Nordyke, Hugoton; second, Andy McIntire, Sublette; third, Ben Mortens, Sublette.
• Diesel Technology: First, Landon Clemons, Rolla; second, Logan Meyers, Meade; third, Ty Dixon, Rolla.
• Automotive Technology: First, Wyatt Bolton, Meade; second, Parker Fleming, Elkhart; third, Ben O’Hanlon, Elkhart.
• Welding: First, Gerico McCallion, Elkhart; second, Bethany Ellis, Meade; third, Ben O’Hanlon, Elkhart.
• Agriculture: First, Walker Clawson, Meade; second, Kyra Kalani, Hugoton; third, Reagan Schlochtmeier, Meade.
• Cosmetology: First, Ana Calderon, Liberal; second, Damaris Caravon, Elkhart; third, Hailey Carrillo, Elkhart.
• Criminal justice: First, Viviana Patino, Liberal; second, Austin Nordyke, Hugoton; third, Eddy Sanchez, Elkhart.
• Business: First, Abby Crawford, Hugoton; second, Carly Hittle, Hugoton; third, Ethan Thompson, Meade.
• Marketing and management: First, Deserae Schwindt, Rolla; second, Zach Meininger, Hugoton; third, Vanesa Reza, Rolla.
• Computer Information Systems: First, David Booth, Liberal; second, Nolan Dewell, Meade; third, Josh Warner, Elkhart.
• Math and Science: First, Jagger Borth, Meade; second, Emily Wesley, Elkhart; third, Cooper Elliott, Meade.
• Process Technology: First, Austin Nordyke, Hugoton; second, Rhett Robertons, Elkhart; third, Bethany Ellis, Meade.
SCCC/ATS faculty and staff who developed and managed the Xtreme Challenge competitions included Dustin Farmer, art; Janice Northerns, English; Gloria Goodwin, drama; Jamie Titus and Amy Sager, Allied Health; Chris Russom, James Russom, Bree Downs and Randall Levings, transportation technology; Steve Merz, drafting; Harold Fick, Process Technology; John Massey, welding; David Coltrain and Nick Noterman, agriculture; Denice Paden, Amanda Schwab and Sheila Scheib, cosmetology; Cristy Mulanax, criminal justice; Hiran Gunasekara, Tanya Dowell, business; Lisa Kennedy and Kim Zant, marketing and management; Luke Dowell, Darrin Hook, Don Hayes and Heather Hannah, math and science; and Ed Hall and Rusty Tuman, Computer Information Systems.