Liberal, KS

Now: 83 °F

Currently: Fair

Hi: 83 °F | Lo: 59 °F


Hi: 84 °F 

Lo: 60 °F


Hi: 90 °F 

Lo: 66 °F


Hi: 95 °F 

Lo: 67 °F


Hi: 93 °F 

Lo: 67 °F


Hi: 96 °F 

Lo: 71 °F

Liberal Police Department To Conduct “Out Of State Registration” Sweep

KSCB News - October 12, 2011 10:37 am

The Liberal Police Department in conjunction with other city departments will be conducting a city wide sweep in the near future to address the issue of out of state registration. During this sweep of the city, officials will be providing information pamphlets, warning notices and citations for violations. The Liberal Police Department is asking for your cooperation and compliance with this state law.
Kansas law requires that all motor vehicles that are garaged in Kansas for greater than 90 days be registered in the State of Kansas. Kansas law does exempt non-resident students that are enrolled full-time at Seward County Community College/Area Technical School. Members of the armed forces that are stationed in this state, provided that such vehicle is properly registered in such member’s state of residence are also exempt. Any interstate contract, agreement or declaration made by the Director of Motor Vehicles are exempt from obtaining Kansas registration.
This law applies to all motor vehicle either personally owned or company owned. A common misconception is that if the owner of a motor vehicle has property or owns a business in another state then it is acceptable to register that vehicle in that state. This in fact is not true. These individuals are still required to obtain Kansas Registration for their vehicles.
Another misconception of this law is if the vehicle is not actually owned by the driver who lives in Kansas. An example of this scenario would be driving a family members or friend’s vehicle. If the vehicle has been garaged in this state for 90 days it must be registered in Kansas. Forms are available at the Seward County Treasure’s Office and on the Department of Motor Vehicle website, giving power of attorney for the driver to register the vehicle in Kansas.
Penalties for not obtaining Kansas registration include fines up to $2500.00, imprisonment of up to 6 months, or a combination of both fines and imprisonment.
If you are new to the area and have out of state registration, you must first get a Motor Vehicle Examination Inspection completed before you can obtain Kansas registration. This inspection can be completed at the Liberal Animal Shelter Mon-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Liberal Animal Shelter is located at 1985 North Country Estates Road. There is a $15.00 fee for the inspection.
For more information on obtaining Kansas registration you can contact the Seward County Treasurers Office at 620-626-3216. For more information on out of state registration contact the Liberal Police Department at 620-626-0141.


Latest Stories

Liberal Man Involved in Fatality Accident on US 412

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports at approximately 11:28 am a fatality accident involving a Mercury grand...

Utility Poles to be Tested in Liberal Area this Week

Starting the week of July 22, Osmose Utility Services will be conducting pole testing for Southern...

Tick-borne illness may be on the rise in Oklahoma

Oklahoma’s rainy spring has provided an ideal environment for ticks. “One thing ticks don’t like is...