Liberal, KS

Now: 24 °F

Currently: Cloudy

Hi: 54 °F | Lo: 30 °F

Friday

Hi: 48 °F 

Lo: 31 °F

Saturday

Hi: 40 °F 

Lo: 18 °F

Sunday

Hi: 48 °F 

Lo: 27 °F

Monday

Hi: 45 °F 

Lo: 19 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 47 °F 

Lo: 14 °F

Rooftop Air Conditioner Causes House Fire In Guymon

KSCB News - March 8, 2016 10:03 am

An attentive driver passing by a house and recognizing smoke coming from the roof of a home may have saved a home owner his home.
Guymon Firefighters were called to 802 N. Ellison Monday afternoon at 3:21pm to a reported structure fire. Upon first arriving units, they found smoke coming from a large evaporative cooler on the roof of the home , said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley. Firefighters quickly gained entry into the home and atop the roof to further located the source of the fire.
The home is owned by Richard Costner of Guymon, but currently no one lived in the home at the time. Firefighters found the source of the fire to indeed be from the evaporative cooler on the roof in which a water pump mechanically failed, burned the plastic housing around the pump, then burned the highly combustible filters on the outside portions of the cooler , stated Wadley. Smoke did enter the home from the roof top cooler with no extension of fire found on the inside home. Estimated damage from smoke is $3000 with the cooler on the roof completely destroyed.
Guymon Firefighters responded along with Guymon Police, Guymon Utilities Department, and Tri-County Electric.

 

Latest Stories

Free Business Seminars to be Offered February 28

By Liberal Area Coalition For Families Free business seminars are coming to Liberal. The seminars are...

Award-Winning Albuquerque Poet to judge SCCC Poetry Contest; Entries Now Being Accepted

  By Janice Northerns Liberal, Kans. — The deadline to enter Seward County Community College’s ninth...

Seward County Meets with Light Agenda

The Seward County Board of County Commissioners met on Tuesday due to the Presidents Day Holiday...