Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Friday, 22 August 2014
Login |  Register 
 
Find Products or Services in your local community
 
KSCB Radio News US National Business Health & Science Political World Sports Top NPR Headlines Sports
Early Sunday Morning Fire In Guymon
06/08/2009

An early morning mobile home fire Sunday leaves a couple homeless but very fortunate to be alive.

Guymon Firefighters responded to a 911 call of a structure fire at 3:23am Sunday morning. On Firefighters arrival to 15 Joyce Drive, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the back portion of the home. “Flames were seen coming from the back door and roof area from several blocks away”, stated Assistant Fire Chief and scene commander Grant Wadley.

Firefighters were quickly able to make entry to the home and find the fire located midway in the kitchen and extending the entire way towards the rear of the mobile home. It took Firefighters approximately 20 minutes to get the fire under control and over an hour to extinguishing smoldering areas in the ceiling and walls. The entire back portion of the home was destroyed by fire with the front portion remaining intact and only affected by heavy smoke damage.

Occupants of the home, Mr. and Mrs. Remberto Gonzales, were at home and sleeping at the time of the fire. Mrs. Gonzales was awakened by what sounded like a “popping” noise and thought it may have been lightening or hail outside. Once she opened the bedroom door to check, smoke was already heavy in the home and began to enter their bedroom. Both quickly escaped out the front door and called 911 from a neighbors house. Both were medically checked for injury and smoke inhalation at the scene by a Guymon Fire Department EMS unit.

Cause of the fire was an extension cord running from a power pole outside and going into the home under the back door. Over time, the door had worn a hole in the cord and exposed wires which then came in contact with the aluminum door frame. The fire started beneath the back door where the cord entered the home. Damage and loss estimates were $25,000.

Firefighters remained on scene till 5:30am and were assisted by the Guymon Police Department, Guymon Emergency Management, City of Guymon Gas & Water Department, Tri-County Electric, and the Guymon Chapter of the American Red Cross.

The Guymon Fire Department reminds everyone that working smoke detectors do safe lives and can be installed free of charge by calling the Guymon Fire Department at 580-338-5536.

© Copyright KSCB News
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
LPD Seeks Suspect
57 Wild Horses Die After Transfer To Scott City
Early Riser Kiwanis To Offer Colorado Peaches and Pears
Registered Sex Offender in Hamilton County Pleads Guilty
480 Board Approves Process of Appeal for Fired Teachers
Don Scott To Retire, Successor Sought By Republican Party
Liberal Police Arrest Burglary Suspects
New Coach Leads Skilled Hooker Bulldogs  
Symphony Society Sets First Orchestra Rehearsal
USD 480 To Release Early August 29th
Click Here For All Stories

LATEST STORIES
SWH Coach Appreciates Attitude of Mustangs  
Veteran Seward Opens Season in Lamar
Liberal Police Arrest Burglary Suspects
Guymon Home Lost To Fire
Guymon Re-Groups Entering 2014 Season  
EDGAR CRUZ, SET TO PERFORM LIVE AT DINNER ON THE LAKE IN GUYMON SEPTEMBER 13TH
Redskins Announce Scimmage Schedule
KDOT Secretary King Announces Highway Projects
Seward Changes Booster Club Meeting Schedule
USD 480 To Release Early August 29th
Click Here For All Stories
Click Here for KSCB Talk Radio 1270 am
Click Here for B107.5
Click Here for The Legend 102.7
click Here for ozzBlog
Click Here for the Emergency Alert Hanbook

©2014 Seward County Broadcasting Company, Inc.
1410 N. Western Ave. Liberal, KS 67901

Emergency Alert System | EEO Public Report Form | The Public and Broadcasting

Powered by Radio Media Group