Guymon Firefighters were called to a reported house fire by neighbor’s and people driving by stating flames were coming out the windows. Firefighters responded to 1512 N. James at 9:35am to find a single family home with heavy fire and smoke coming from the southeast corner of the home. “This was a very hot and fast moving fire inside when we arrived”, state Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley.
Firefighters found that a single bedroom in the southeast corner was completely involved in fire with the fire was beginning to spread into other nearby bedrooms and hallway. The heat and flames were so intense coming from the bedroom it posed a serious exposure risk to the house next door that had wooden siding. “Firefighters simultaneously made entry into the house to extinguish the fire while another team of Firefighters insured the house next door did not become involved”, Wadley said. An immediate search of the house was conducted for victims. The occupants of the home, Terry Lindsay and her daughter, were not home at the time of the fire, but tragically the family dog was found by Firefighters and had expired in the dense smoke and heat in another portion of the home.
Firefighters were able to control the blaze in approximately 20 minutes and prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the entire house. Fire damage was contained to the south end of the home while the rest of the home had extensive smoke damage. “The cause of this fire is still being determined by our investigators and total estimated damages are not available at this time”, said Wadley. Fire crews remained on scene until 11am removing smoldering debris and assisting the occupant with the fire damage.
Guymon Fire Department was assisted by the Guymon Police Department, Guymon Animal Control officers, Guymon School Police, City of Guymon Gas & Water Department, City of Guymon Sanitation Department, Guymon Emergency Management, and the local American Red Cross.