Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Friday, 28 November 2014
Login |  Register 
 
Find Products or Services in your local community
 
KSCB Radio News US National Business Health & Science Political World Sports Top NPR Headlines Sports National Headlines
Pastor Returning To Church Late May Have Saved A Community Disaster
03/24/2010

The loss of a local church to fire was averted when the Pastor returned late to get items he forgot to bring home.

At 8:15pm Monday evening, the Guymon Fire Department responded to 911 call of an attic fire at 804 NE. 12th street which is the First Assembly of God Church. "Upon arrival, Firefighters found smoke throughout the entire building with the heaviest smoke on the second floor", stated Fire Chief Clark Purdy. Firefighters were able to quickly enter the church, find the fire which was located on the second floor, and extinguished it immediately before any further damage could occur. "Once the main fire was under control, fire crews spent a considerable amount of time searching for fire extension into the wall spaces and removing smoke from the building", said Chief Purdy. Specialized smoke ejector fans were put in place by firefighters and operations continued until approximately 9:50pm.

Pastor Billy Martin stated he went back into the church to retrieve some items that he had left there. When he entered the church, he immediately see and smell smoke. He called 911 to report the fire and was then able to locate the fire upstairs before firefighters arrived. The fire was in a closet where a gas heater was located and later found to be not functioning properly.. Insulation and other burned contents were removed by firefighters before deeming the area safe. Estimated damage cost from the fire and smoke in the church was not available at press time.

Guymon Fire Department was assisted by Guymon Police Department, Tri-County Electric, and Guymon Public Works. No injuries were reported by the Guymon Fire Department.

© Copyright KSCB News
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
Gas Explosion Injures Two: UPDATE
National Beef Settles Lawsuit
Stanton County Rollover Injures Two
Depletion of Ogallala Aquifer Empties Streams
An Opportunity To Help Emily
City Commission Meets,Approves 7th and Western Plat
Turpin Couple Shares Story Worthy of Thanksgiving  
Slatten Earns All American Honors at Nationals
Governor Sam Brownback proclaims Nov. 29 as "Small Business Saturday"
Rebounding Issues Sink Seward at South Plains
Click Here For All Stories

LATEST STORIES
LPD To Participate In Kansas Thanksgiving Traffic Enforcement Campaign
OPSU's McClendon Named Player of the Year
Stanton County Rollover Injures Two
An Opportunity To Help Emily
Governor Sam Brownback proclaims Nov. 29 as "Small Business Saturday"
City Commission Meets,Approves 7th and Western Plat
Turpin Couple Shares Story Worthy of Thanksgiving  
Slatten Earns All American Honors at Nationals
Manns Jr. Named Heartland Conference Player of the Year
National Beef Settles Lawsuit
Click Here For All Stories
Click Here for KSCB Talk Radio 1270 am
Click Here for B107.5
Click Here for The Legend 102.7
click Here for ozzBlog
Click Here for the Emergency Alert Hanbook

©2014 Seward County Broadcasting Company, Inc.
1410 N. Western Ave. Liberal, KS 67901

Emergency Alert System | EEO Public Report Form | The Public and Broadcasting

Powered by Radio Media Group