Saturday, 13 February 2016
Login |  Register 
 
Find Products or Services in your local community
Saturday
Low  33°
High 60°
Sunday
Low  33°
High 59°
Monday
Low  38°
High 67°
Tuesday
Low  36°
High 66°
Wednesday
Low  42°
High 72°
Thursday
Low  45°
High 84°
Friday
Low  37°
High 73°
Current Temperature in Liberal KS is 31°  
KSCB Radio News US National Business Health & Science Political World Sports Top NPR Headlines Sports National Headlines
Apartment Fire In Guymon Extinguished by Simple Device
03/05/2009

At 3:58pm Thursday afternoon, a stove top kitchen fire at 909 NW 15th #A-2 had the occupant calling 911. “3 Fire units responded to find the apartment completely filled with smoke” said Assistant Chief Grant Wadley. Once Firefighters quickly entered the apartment, they found that the fire was out and just the heavy smoke remained. Once the smoke was removed from the apartment, Firefighters noticed that a simple under the counter stove extinguisher had smothered the fire completely out.

The apartment occupant, Tasha Larson, told fire officials she was preparing to heat cooking oil in a pan. As she was moving the pan from one burner to another the grease caught fire. She attempted to control the fire which was growing in size quickly. “During her attempts, 2 under-the-vent fire canisters discharged and put the fire out”, Wadley said.

Fire damage was very minimal and estimated at $300. In speaking to the apartment manager, they had installed all apartment units with these fire canisters after a past kitchen fire that cost several thousand dollars in repairs. Apartment fires can be very dangerous for occupants of the apartment, the neighbors in joining units, and for Firefighters due to the complexity of the structures. There were no injuries reported and the occupant was able to return to her apartment.

© Copyright KSCB News
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
UPDATE: Liberal Kenworth Catches Fire
Torres Taken into Custody Wednesday, Makes First Appearence
Amparan Crowned New Miss Liberal
Parsons Time Not Enough for Record Setting Olney
2016 Babycakes Is Born
LFD Report On Kenworth Fire
USPS Offers Pancake Day Cancellation
2016 Pancake Day Parade Results
Southern Pioneer Electric’s H.U.G.S Team Donates to Southwest Sexual Assault Services
2016 Pancake Day Eating, Flipping Results
Click Here For All Stories

LATEST STORIES
Tim's Big Heart and Daniel's Big Nigh Highlight Homecoming
Triple the Pleasure the Redskins on Homecoming
Lady Skins Hold Off Hays on Homecoming
Friday's Scores
Diamond Bailey is Mead Lumber Athlete of the Week  
High School Juniors Win Cooperative Leadership Trip
Seward County United Way Surpasses Goal
2016 Babycakes Is Born
Friday's Games
Great Bend Edges LHS Bowling at Ayr Lanes
Click Here For All Stories
Click Here for KSCB Talk Radio 1270 am
Click Here for B107.5
Click Here for The Legend 102.7
click Here for ozzBlog
Click Here for the Emergency Alert Hanbook

©2016 Seward County Broadcasting Company, Inc.
1410 N. Western Ave. Liberal, KS 67901

Emergency Alert System | EEO Public Report Form | The Public and Broadcasting

Powered by Radio Media Group