Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Saturday, 30 August 2014
Login |  Register 
 
Find Products or Services in your local community
 
KSCB Radio News US National Business Health & Science Political World Sports Top NPR Headlines Sports
Apartment Fire In Guymon Extinguished by Simple Device
03/05/2009

At 3:58pm Thursday afternoon, a stove top kitchen fire at 909 NW 15th #A-2 had the occupant calling 911. “3 Fire units responded to find the apartment completely filled with smoke” said Assistant Chief Grant Wadley. Once Firefighters quickly entered the apartment, they found that the fire was out and just the heavy smoke remained. Once the smoke was removed from the apartment, Firefighters noticed that a simple under the counter stove extinguisher had smothered the fire completely out.

The apartment occupant, Tasha Larson, told fire officials she was preparing to heat cooking oil in a pan. As she was moving the pan from one burner to another the grease caught fire. She attempted to control the fire which was growing in size quickly. “During her attempts, 2 under-the-vent fire canisters discharged and put the fire out”, Wadley said.

Fire damage was very minimal and estimated at $300. In speaking to the apartment manager, they had installed all apartment units with these fire canisters after a past kitchen fire that cost several thousand dollars in repairs. Apartment fires can be very dangerous for occupants of the apartment, the neighbors in joining units, and for Firefighters due to the complexity of the structures. There were no injuries reported and the occupant was able to return to her apartment.

© Copyright KSCB News
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
Russell Hasenbank Gets County Attorney Nod
Hugoton Brings in Old New Guy  
Local Director Sets Auditions For Seventh Movie
Murdock To Replace Blackwell In Oklahomas 61st District
Hugoton FFA Chapter Attends State Conference for Chapter Leaders
Liberal City Commission Meets, Approves Taxiway Improvements
Sublette Looks to Kraft More Wins in 2014  
A Makeover in Meade  
No Child Left Behind: Kansas Gets Waiver, Oklahoma Loses Theirs
SCCC/ATS Offers "Workplace Etiquette" Seminars
Click Here For All Stories

LATEST STORIES
Seward Spikers Split in Vernon
Action Begins in First Week of September at LHS
Hugoton Schools Receives Special Innovative District Status
No Child Left Behind: Kansas Gets Waiver, Oklahoma Loses Theirs
Sublette Looks to Kraft More Wins in 2014  
Adult Raku Ceramics Workshop At Baker Arts Center
Saints Roll Barton in the Opener
2014 Community Health Fair set for Oct. 4
Seward County United Way kicks off 2015 Campaign
AirFair Volunteer Meeting Postponed
Click Here For All Stories
Click Here for KSCB Talk Radio 1270 am
Click Here for B107.5
Click Here for The Legend 102.7
click Here for ozzBlog
Click Here for the Emergency Alert Hanbook

©2014 Seward County Broadcasting Company, Inc.
1410 N. Western Ave. Liberal, KS 67901

Emergency Alert System | EEO Public Report Form | The Public and Broadcasting

Powered by Radio Media Group