Wednesday morning Guymon Fire Fighters responded to a report of a garage fire at 2106 N. Canyon. At 9:55am, Firefighters arrived at the scene to find smoke coming from the front of the home out of the garage.
“The fire was located in the back of the garage on shelves containing common garage products such as oils, gasoline, and pesticides”, said Assistant Fire Chief Grant Wadley. The home owner had just walked into her front door and noticed the smell of smoke that was becoming stronger the closer she got to the garage area. She opened the garage door and found the entire garage full of smoke. 911 was called immediately while the owner attempted to get a vehicle out of the garage. They were able to get the car out just as firefighters arrived. The fire was extinguished quickly and found not to have spread into the attic or walls. “Fire crews removed the shelves from the garage and were able to remove the remaining smoke from the house”, said Wadley.
The home belonging to Bob & Debbie Roberts sustained very little damage and was confined to the garage area only. Cause of the fire was not immediately determined. Only one injury was reported which was minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by Fire Department Paramedics.