The Custodian position is responsible for the custodial needs of Seward County. A substantial amount of time is spent inside.
This position reports to the Supervisor Foreman of the Maintenance Department.
The roles, responsibilities, job functions, knowledge, skills and abilities set forth herein may be revised from time to time in order to comply with federal and state laws, departmental needs and the changing requirements for this position.
Supervision Exercised or Received
The Custodian receives supervision from the Supervisor of the Maintenance Department
The Custodian exercises supervision over no employees in the Maintenance Department
- Maintains and unlocks entrances to buildings in the morning and secures buildings in the evenings
- Empties all waste baskets, takes trash to dumpster
- Set up for special events and clean up afterwards
- Cleans and maintains restrooms and replenishes supplies daily in morning and afternoon
- Sweeps, mops, strips, waxes and polishes floors
- Dusts, vacuums and cleans offices or other work areas
- Washes walls and windows
- Assists in maintaining an adequate inventory of cleaning materials and supplies
- Maintains the Custodian’s Office and Supply Room in a neat and orderly condition
- Follows departmental safety policies and procedures
- Maintains an attitude of outstanding customer service
- Moves office furniture, boxes, crates and equipment, when necessary
- Removes stains from surfaces, such as rugs, walls and floors using chemicals and other cleaning solutions
- Sweep walks, rake leaves, cut grass, remove snow or perform other incidental seasonal tasks, as required
- Maintains a professional image in the community
- Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that is customer focused with the general public, clients, co-workers and management
- Performs other related work, as required by the Director of Maintenance and/or Maintenance Supervisor, or as needed
|4/8/2014 12:00 AM
|Open Until Filled
|Knowledge of 1. Principles and procedures for providing internal and external customer service; this includes assessing the needs of both to meet quality standards for services and to meet evaluation of customer satisfaction 2. Seward County Employee Manual 3. Proper usage of cleaning chemicals and equipment 4. Proper structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and correct grammar Skills in 1. Providing effective leadership 2. Thinking outside the box 3. Meeting and dealing tactfully with others; able to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing 4. Analyzing situations, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of actions and implementing recommendations 5. Active listening, speaking and writing 6. Emotional Intelligence, e.g. possesses self-awareness, self-regulation, self-motivation, social skills and empathic skills 7. Conflict management/problem solving/team building 8. Strong work ethic 9. Superb ethical behavior Abilities to 1. Establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers 2. Carry out duties without supervision 3. Assess situations rapidly and make decisions in a timely manner 4. Communicate effectively using superb oral and written skills 5. Social Perceptiveness – be aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do 6. Problem Sensitivity - identify when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong 7. Goal Setting – set and achieve goals/articulate a vision or overall objective 8. Relationship Building - establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with governmental agencies contacted in the course of work 9. Time Management - manage time, especially during times of stress or when deadlines are involved; ability to complete projects within a required time
|Education High School Diploma or GED required Work Experience Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of similar or related experience in custodial work Computer Skills Experience in using Microsoft Office, email and other relevant modern office equipment Licenses/Certifications Must possess valid Driver’s License or be able to possess within thirty (30) days of hire, without record of suspension or revocation in any state; no felony convictions or disqualifying criminal history Additional Requirements Work Hours 40 Hour Work Week – Full Time; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; hours may vary Evening/Week-Ends As necessary
|Work Environment General indoor and outdoor environment; must be prepared to work in extremely hot and cold conditions Physical Requirements The work of the Custodian position is a highly responsible position which requires mental acuity. The Custodian will be required to do complicated tasks, sit for an hour or more, speak, hear, stand, walk, balance, stoop, squat, bend, and/or kneel. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. May be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Special Skills Preferred Note At the discretion of Seward County, a Background Check may be made. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the Background Check. Nothing in this Job Description restricts the ability or right of Seward County to assign, reassign or eliminate the duties and responsibilities of this job either orally or in writing. Tasks and responsibilities may be changed at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other reasons deemed appropriate by the County. This Job Description does not constitute an Employment Agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change, according to the business needs of Seward County.
$9.82 to $11.57 an hour starting, plus benefits.
BENEFITS INCLUDE BLUECROSS BLUESHIELD HEALTH AND DENTAL PAID IN FULL FOR EMPLOYEE, PAID TIME OFF, ELEVEN PAID HOLIDAYS, KPERS AND MORE. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS CAN APPLY ONLINE AT SEWARDCOUNTYKS.ORG OR MAY REQUEST APPLICATION OR SEND RESUME TO APRIL WARDEN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR, 515 NORTH WASHINGTON, SUITE 205, LIBERAL, KS 67905. OR EMAIL AWARDEN@SEWARDOUNTYKS.ORG.
SEWARD COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYEER.