Fireworks Reminder From the Fire Department
KSCB News - July 1, 2009 12:00 am
The Liberal and Seward County fire departments are requesting the public’s assistance in preventing fireworks related injuries and property losses this 4th of July season.
Fireworks have been illegal to sale, handle or store within Seward County for the last 29 years. The County Commissioners signed into resolution in 1980 a regulation that prohibited the sale, handling, use or storage of fireworks within Seward County. The use of fireworks is considered a violation and shall constitute a Class C misdemeanor, in which shall include a fine and/or jail time. The definition of fireworks are those devices designed to produce a display of light, noise and/or smoke by the combustion of explosive or flammable materials.
If you are found to be in possession of fireworks within Seward County, you can expect the fireworks to be confiscated by law enforcement or fire department agencies. Also there may be the possibility of a citation being issued that will result in a fine and/or jail time.
However if fireworks are legal where you live and you decide to use them, be sure to be aware to follow the following safety tips:
– Never allow children to handle fireworks
– Older children should use fireworks only under close supervision
– Light Fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from onlookers, houses and flammable materials
– Light one device at a time; maintain a safe distance after lighting
– Do not allow any running or horseplay while fireworks are being used
– Never ignite devices in a container
– Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks; douse and soak them with water and discard them safely
– Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off in case of fire
If you have any questions about fireworks, legal or illegal, please feel free to call the Liberal Fire Department (620) 626-0128, or the Seward County Fire Department (620) 626-3267.
The Liberal and Seward County Fire Departments hope this information helps you have a safe and healthy 4th of July Holiday!