Electrical Lines Probable Cause Of Texas County Fire
KSCB News - March 23, 2011 8:27 am
Two homes were devastated after a grass fire, mixed with high winds, spread quickly out of control.
Guymon firefighters responded to a grass fire approximately 15 miles north of Guymon on Road O and Mile 22 at around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
"The electrical lines had shorted out due to the wind and with it being so dry, it sparked a fire," said Texas County Emergency Manager Harold Tyson. "It ended up spreading to Road 31 or 32, the fire department will have more information later."
After realizing the severity of the situation, the Texas County Sheriff’s Office requested that any farmers with large tractors and disks go to Hwy. 136 and Road N. Many farmers assisted with the blaze as well as Seaboard.
"Seaboard was out there with water and their blades," continued Tyson. "Seward County was there and also Gruver County. Beaver County even sent a Strike Team over. The two fire departments that did not respond were Baker and Tyrone, simply because we needed them in case another fire started, not because they didn’t want to. We were in a bad situation yesterday and had to keep someone in reserves."
Wind gusts, according to the National Weather Service, were up to 55 MPH while firefighters struggled to keep the blaze under control.
Two homes were lost in the fire. One home was reportedly vacant and the occupants of the second home were reportedly not in the residence at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.
"What people need to know is that the main concern to our fire departments were protecting those homes," concluded Tyson.
The Guymon Fire Department, local farmers, Seaboard, Seward County, Gruver County, Texas County Emergency Management, Beaver County, The American Red Cross and many others were on scene to assist with the large grass fire.