Liberal, KS

Now: 64 °F

Currently: Cloudy

Hi: 64 °F | Lo: 44 °F

Tuesday

Hi: 60 °F 

Lo: 39 °F

Wednesday

Hi: 72 °F 

Lo: 40 °F

Thursday

Hi: 79 °F 

Lo: 48 °F

Friday

Hi: 83 °F 

Lo: 55 °F

Saturday

Hi: 88 °F 

Lo: 50 °F

Apartment Fire In Guymon Extinguished by Simple Device

KSCB News - March 5, 2009 12:00 am

At 3:58pm Thursday afternoon, a stove top kitchen fire at 909 NW 15th #A-2 had the occupant calling 911. ź??3 Fire units responded to find the apartment completely filled with smokeź?ť said Assistant Chief Grant Wadley. Once Firefighters quickly entered the apartment, they found that the fire was out and just the heavy smoke remained. Once the smoke was removed from the apartment, Firefighters noticed that a simple under the counter stove extinguisher had smothered the fire completely out.

The apartment occupant, Tasha Larson, told fire officials she was preparing to heat cooking oil in a pan. As she was moving the pan from one burner to another the grease caught fire. She attempted to control the fire which was growing in size quickly. ź??During her attempts, 2 under-the-vent fire canisters discharged and put the fire outź?ť, Wadley said.

Fire damage was very minimal and estimated at $300. In speaking to the apartment manager, they had installed all apartment units with these fire canisters after a past kitchen fire that cost several thousand dollars in repairs. Apartment fires can be very dangerous for occupants of the apartment, the neighbors in joining units, and for Firefighters due to the complexity of the structures. There were no injuries reported and the occupant was able to return to her apartment.

 

Latest Stories

Fowler Couple Killed in Motorcycle Accident

(KAKE News) Kansas authorities say a vulture struck a motorcyclist’s head, causing a crash that killed...

Accident Leads to an Arrest

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at approximately 11:40 p.m., emergency responders were dispatched to the 200...

Drug Bust Starts in Beaver County

On Saturday April 20th  District One Agents of Oklahoma received a call for assistance after an...